Did you feel the difference between a 3D film and a 2D film? Watching the 3D one is how realistic it feels! Well that's exactly the difference that 2D and 3D scans will experience. By implementing this enormous innovation in diagnostic technology, We, ToothAffair, Best Dental Clinic has walked an extra mile to offer healthy smiles.
Cone beam computed tomography (or CBCT) is a diagnostic imaging procedure that consists of computed X-ray tomography, forming a cone, where the X-rays are divergent.
CBCT scanners are now seeing more applications in dentistry, such as in the fields of oral surgery, endodontics and orthodontics, because of improved access to such equipment. Integrated CBCT is also an effective method for patient placement and verification in image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT). CBCT gives an undistorted view of dentition as a 3D rendition that can be used to accurately image all erupted and unerupted teeth, tooth root alignment and anomalous structures, which can not be visualised by standard 2D radiography.
The benefits of CBCT scanning include 90% less exposure to radiation and zero pain. For all guided procedures, such as dental implants etc., We use CBCT scans.
Two-dimensional radiographs have already been used widely over the past 25 years, such as periapical and panoramic radiographs.
2D x-rays have few issues such as
- low-definition images
This resulted in misdiagnosis.In cases requiring greater clarification in imaging, patients were referred to medical (spiral) CT scans that had their own issues, such as increased radiation exposure and longer procedure time.
As a game changer in dental radiography, CBCT scans have advanced and its implementation has certainly added an extra dimension to the delivery of personalised dental treatment. Compared to 2D images, there is less distortion. Precise bone density, bone height and width measurements are possible.
When to have CBCT Scan?
In the following situations, the best dentist in Bangalore can advise you to have a CBCT scan performed :
- Dental implants : For correct dental implant preparation and placement.
- For relative bone quality assessment
- Treatment of root canals for clear-cut viewing of root canals.
- Temporomandibular Joint for TMJ related problems diagnosis
- Impacted teeth in relation to neighbouring structures such as the mandibular nerve and maxillary sinus to check the location of the impacted tooth.
- Orthodontic rehabilitation for examination of facial structures and teeth.
Advantages of 2D radiographs with CBCT scans
- High quality images with excellent details provide the advantages of CBCT scanning.
- As multiple images are generated on different planes, multidimensional evaluation is possible.
- Helpful in correct diagnosis and preparation of treatment.
- Beneficial with guided surgery.
Benefits that CBCT scans have over CT scans
- 90 percent less exposure to radiation relative to CT scans.
- Compared to the one-hour procedure in CT scans, the fast procedure is 30 seconds to a minute.
- No suffering such as claustrophobia or excessive noise
The future of dental diagnosis and treatment planning is surely going to be shaped by CBCT or 3D imaging. This easy and painless technique helps to test the facial skeleton accurately and helps to prepare reconstructive and cosmetic dentistry procedures.